Thursday 13 January 2011

Enterprise and Innovation Task 3

How will I promote myself?

What do 'they' want to hear? / What should I say to 'them'? / How will I communicate with 'them'?

When promoting myself to potential client groups I feel it's important to take a carefully considered but personal approach. I need to make myself easily identifiable to them, whether it be a local design agency or an international retail company. They need to know i'm a committed and organised individual and versatile as a designer, with a specific interest in design for print. I must also try and sell my best quality as a designer - which is my idea generation and developing concepts and ideas. I also think it's important to stress that i'm just as comfortable to be sat with a pen, some markers and a pad of paper as at a Mac since raw ideas heavily outweigh technical skill in my opinion.
Agencies and companies will want to hear that i'm interested in who they are and they will respect someone who has taken the time to inform them self of what they do and what they stand for. In order to communicate all of this to them, it's essential I choose the right methods in which to contact them and interact with them so that I reach the intended person with the desired message.
Direct mailing would probably be most applicable to me and it exists in many different forms. It can be cheap and convenient to send an email with a well presented pdf attachment featuring a few select images  of my work. However, considering my interest in printed media, it may be more appropriate and worthwhile in putting together a quality mail shot which could have more visual impact and is likely to be kept by the receiver as emails could end up being lost in someones inbox. Having a web presence is also very important whether through a blog or simple website so that anybody who is looking for me has an immediate way in which to view my work and get in contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment