Thursday 27 May 2010

OUGD103 Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

During this module I feel that I have become more ambitious in terms of product development than I have been on previous projects, particularly during the collaborative and 'Speaking from experience' briefs I have tried to push myself further out of my comfort zone by testing out alternative resolutions. Also I feel that my time management has further improved as we have had to juggle several tasks at one time whilst attempting to be more adventurous with my product development which increases the workload. Finally, after the previous module I stated that I wanted to get back to some more hand drawn, illustrative work as I felt I had done a lot of computer based work and I addressed this through my illustrated vogue posters as well as the hand drawn imagery and type work on the collaborative brief.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I think that over the course of this specific module my primary research skills have developed much more through the use of qualitative, in depth questionnaires that gave direct feedback from the target audience during both the 'Communication in a virus' and 'Speaking from experience' briefs. During the 'Virus' collaborative project me and my partner collected a good volume of secondary quantitative data and statistics however this turned out not to be relevant to the idea we eventually settled on however I suppose it did help us to narrow down our target audience to something more specific.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Over this module I feel that my illustration work has been a definite strength which was particularly successful on the Vogue poster project. On future briefs I would like to incorporate this more and combine it with more computer based work to give a polished, professional finish to the hand drawn work. Another strength I think has developed during the 'Speaking from experience' brief is my branding of a product range. During this project where we had to create numerous resolutions I tried to establish a clear brand to link the different outcomes together and make it appear as a professional series of products.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

In terms of weaknesses, although I said my time management has improved, I think that there is still room for more improvement but also I tend not to record how I manage my tasks as I usually just do it mentally. I think by making more of a concerted effort to document my time management it would help me to look at how I use my time and also help me to plan more effectively which I would hope to make me more productive. I also think there is a bit of a weakness in my blogging which links from the time management issue as quite often I build up a back log of work which I then tend to blog all at once instead of blogging consistently on a daily basis. This can cause problems when it comes to analysing and commenting on the posts as its sometimes difficult to remember back to the project.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing this?

- Blog more often and consistently to help me analyse my work.
- Develop my technical skills further on Adobe Illustrator and InDesign to add more dimensions to my work.
- Continue to push my illustrative work as this could help me to create a stronger identity as a designer.
- Make the most of the resources on offer such as screen printing and letterpress as it will help to show my diversity as a designer.
- Conduct larger volumes of research and be more selective in terms of the information I gather to help direct my projects better.

6.

Attendance: 5

Punctuation: 5

Motivation: 4

Commitment: 4

Quantity of work: 4

Quality of work: 4

Contribution to the group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment